Sabudana Vada from Maharashtra in western India is a great snack and goes particularly well with hot Masala Chai (spiced tea)!
- 4 large potatoes boiled, peeled and mashed
- 1/2 cup sabudana/ sago/ tapioca
- 1 large onion chopped very fine
- 2 green chillies chopped very fine
- 2" piece of ginger grated
- 1/4 cup peanuts roasted and crushed coarsely
- 1 tsp raw mango powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil for shallow frying
- Soak the sabudana/ sago/ tapioca in warm water overnight. It will puff up and become translucent.
- Mix the sabudana with all the other ingredients and form a paste. Add salt to taste.
- Make the paste into equal-sized balls and flatten slightly to form patties.
- Heat oil in a wide, flat pan and shallow fry the patties till golden.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with tamarind chutney, mint-coriander chutney and piping-hot Masala Chai.