The Toasty Paneer Sandwich is a yummy and nutritious snack that can be made up in minutes. It is great for breakfast, brunch and even school lunchboxes.
- 1 cup crumbly cottage cheese/ paneer (buy or see recipe below)
- 2 tbsps butter
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 large onion chopped very fine
- 2 green chillies chopped very fine (optional)
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped fine
- 1/4 tsp tumeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 8 slices fresh, soft sandwich bread of your choice
- Heat a pan on a medium flame and add the butter to it. Allow to melt and then add the cumin seeds. When they stop spluttering, add the green chillies and onion. Fry till the onion is soft.
- Add the tomatoes, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt to taste. Stir well. Cook for 2 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add the paneer (see recipe here) and mix well. Stir fry for 3-4 minutes and then turn off fire. Allow to cool a little.
- Lay the slices of bread on a clean cutting board and butter. Now put a generous amount of the prepared paneer mixture on 4 of the slices. Spread to cover entire slice. Top with another buttered slice.
- Grill or toast the sandwich till crispy and golden. This is especially nice when done in a sandwich toaster which seals the edges, preventing the paneer from falling out later.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup or a chutney (see chutney recipes here) of your choice.