There are numerous recipes for Jhaal Muri, a delicious Bengali (east Indian) snack! It can be thrown together in a few minutes and makes a terrific light lunch or evening snack. This recipe is how my Father-in-law (who is Bengali) makes Jhaal Muri. It serves 2 people.
- 2 cups of Muri/ Murmura (puffed rice) - available at most Indian groceries and also used to make Bhelpuri
- 4 tbsps Chana Chur - also available at Indian grocery stores
- 4 tbsps Sev - (Bengal gram vermicelli) also available at Indian grocery stores
- 3 tbsps raw peanuts - roast or shallow-fry and drain on paper towels
- 2 tbsps thinly sliced fresh coconut
- 1 green chilli very finely chopped
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp mustard oil
- 1/2 tsp oil from your favorite pickle!
Mix together all ingredients in a large bowl and stir well. Season with salt as required. Serve immediately in bowls so that the Muri does not get soggy.