This crunchy snack is just as good at tea time as it is for a special occassion. Traditional chaklis are made with a special chakli making mold.
- 2 cups rice flour
- 1 cup moong daal flour
- 1/2 cup ghee
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds lightly roasted
- 1 tbsp thymol seeds lightly roasted
- 2 tbsps sesame seeds lightly roasted
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil for deep frying
- Sieve the 2 flours together.
- Mix all the other ingredients in the flour.
- Melt and cool the ghee. Pour it, a little at a time onto the flour mixture and knead. For Chakli, you need to make a dough that is medium soft and smooth so, when all the ghee is used up, add cool water, a little at a time and keep kneading till you reach the required consistency. Taste dough and season with salt. Mix well.
- Fill some of the dough in a chakli mold or icing bag (with a large nozzle).
- Pipe out spirals - 3" diameter - onto a baking sheet.
- Heat the oil in a pan on a medium flame.
- Deep fry the chaklis till golden. Drain on paper towels, cool and store in an air-tight container.