A snack with almost iconic status in Western India, bhelpuri is low-fat, nutritious and delicious! What more can one ask for? This recipe serves two. Assemble bhelpuri just before you're going to eat it to prevent the puffed rice from getting soggy.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 3 cups puffed rice (available at Indian stores)
- A handful of roasted and salted peanuts
- 2 potatoes boiled, peeled and chopped into tiny cubes
- 1 large onion chopped fine
- 1 large tomato chopped fine
- Half a bunch of coriander chopped fine (approximately 50 gms/ 0.10 lbs)
- 2 green chillies chopped fine
- Tamarind chutney to taste
- Mint-coriander chutney to taste
- A handful of coarsely crushed papdi (savoury biscuits made from flour)
- 1 cup sev (vermicelli-like snack made from gram flour and available at Indian stores)
- Mix the puffed rice, peanuts, potato, onion, tomato, coriander and green chillies together in a large bowl.
- Add the tamarind chutney and mint-coriander chutney according to your own taste preferences (that's the beauty of bhelpuri!), mix well, garnish with plenty of sev and papdi. Serve and eat immediately.