Also known as Pakoras, these are the perfect snack for a cold, rainy day! Make up a batch and serve them with sweet-sour tamarind chutney. Use any vegetable you like.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- Vegetable of your choice - potato, cauliflower, spinach leaves, onion, paneer for example
- 1 cup bengal gram four
- Water to make batter
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- Pinch of asafetida
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp thymol seeds
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable/canola/sunflower cooking oil to deep fry
- Mix the gram flour and all the spices with a little water at a time, to make a thick batter (slightly thicker than pancake batter). Add salt to taste.
- If using cauliflower cut it into bite-sized pieces. For potatoes and onions slice thin; for spinach leaves trim the stems and keep only leaves; for paneer cut into 1" cubes.
- Pre-heat oil and reduce flame to medium. This will allow the bhajias to cook well both on the outside and inside.
- Coat the vegetables well with batter and then deep fry till golden.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with tamarind chutney or tomato ketchup.