Soti Boti literally means 'pieces on a stick'! This delicious Punjabi (north Indian) snack is very popular and terrific to serve as an appetizer at your next dinner party. This recipe will serve 4.
- 300 gms paneer/ cottage cheese, cut into 2" cubes
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 medium sized onion cut into quarters and its layers separated
- 3 small tomatoes, cut into 8 pieces each, seeds removed
- 2 medium sized green bell peppers/ capsicum, cut into 2" squares, seeds removed
- 1 cup Bengal gram flour/ besan
- 2 tsps garlic paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp carom seeds
- 1 tsp kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- Salt to taste
- Warm water
- Vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil to deep fry the Soti Boti
- Chaat Masala to garnish (see link below for recipe to make your own)
- Put the paneer cubes in a large bowl and poke gently with a toothpick. Now pour the lime/ lemon juice over them and add the red chilli powder and salt too. Gently mix till all ingredients are well blended and the paneer cubes are fully coated. Cover with cling film and keep aside to marinate for 1 hour.
- While the paneer is marinating, prepare the batter. To do this, put the Bengal gram flour in a large, deep bowl. Make a well in the center and add all the dry, whole spices, the ginger and garlic pastes and salt to taste. Crush the kasuri methi between your fingers before adding it to the mixture. Now slowly add some warm water to the mix - just a little at a time. You are trying to make a thick batter, so be cautious with the water and add only as needed. Keep mixing to get all the lumps out and make the batter smooth. You can use a whisk or your hand to do this.
- Once the batter is prepared, keep aside for later.
- Once the paneer has marinated, you are ready to assemble the Soti Boti! To do this, take a bamboo skewer, and put a piece of onion, tomato, pepper and then paneer on it. Repeat this order once more in reverse order - paneer, pepper, tomato, onion - so that you have two pieces of paneer in the center of the skewer. Prepare all the skewers like this - roughly 12.
- When all the Soti Boti are fried, arrange on a plate and sprinkle with Chaat Masala. Serve hot with Mint-Coriander Chutney and Tamarind Chutney!