Serve this tasty lentil dish with hot Chapatis (Indian flatbread) or Parathas (pan-fried Indian flatbread) and your favorite pickle for a simple yet very fulfilling meal.
- 1 cup Split Moong Daal - split yellow lentil
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tbsps vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- A pinch of asafetida
- 2" piece of ginger grated
- 2 green chillies chopped very fine
- 1 tbsp lime/ lemon juice
- Chopped fresh coriander leaves to garnish
- Put the daal in a large bowl and wash throughly. Put the washed daal into a pot/ deep pan to boil it. Add enough water to completely cover the daal, salt to taste and the turmeric powder. Mix well and set up to boil. Cook till the daal is soft but not mashed.
- Heat the oil in another pan, on medium heat and add the cumin seeds and chopped green chilli. Fry till spluttering stops and then add grated ginger. Fry for 1 minute.
- Now add the cooked daal and stir well. Do not mash the daal while stirring.
- Season with salt if required and stir. Remove from heat.
- Drizzle with the lemon juice, stir again (gently!), garnish with chopped coriander and serve with hot Chapatis or Parathas and your favorite pickle.