Sookha Kala Chana is easy to make and tastes really nice as a snack or side dish in a main meal. The Chana is also an excellent source of protein.
Prep Time: 12 hours
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 12 hours, 15 minutes
- 2 cups kala chana (black chickpeas) - washed and soaked in water overnight
- 3 tbsps vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 green chillies slit lengthwise
- 3 tbsps fresh grated ginger
- 2 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 large onion chopped fine
- 2 tsps coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp raw mango powder (amchoor )
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped into 1" cubes
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped coriander leaves
- Juice of 1/2 a lime or lemon
- Salt to taste
- Boil the chickpeas in a pressure cooker or large pan till soft. Drain and keep aside for later.
- Heat the cooking oil in a deep pan and when it is hot, add the cumin seeds. Cook till they splutter.
- Add the green chillies and cook till they stop spluttering. Now add the ginger and garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the onion and fry till soft.
- Add the boiled chickpeas, coriander, cumin, turmeric, red chilli, raw mango powders and mix well.
- Cook for 2 minutes and then add the tomatoes, chopped coriander and salt to taste. Mix well and cook for 4-5 minutes more.
- Turn off the fire and garnish with the lime juice. Mix and serve while hot.