This typically Punjabi (North Indian) dish tastes really nice with Makki Ki Roti (Indian maize flatbread) and a dollop of fresh butter.
- 1 bunch spinach washed and chopped fine (approximately 1/2 lb or 250 gms)
- 1 bunch mustard greens washed and chopped fine (approximately 1/2 lb or 250 gms)
- 2 green chillies
- 1 tbsp grated ginger (or paste)
- 1 tbsp grated garlic (or paste)
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tbsps ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 large onion grated
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- Juice of 1/2 a lime/ lemon
- 1 tbsp bengal gram flour/ maize flour
- Mix the greens, green chillies and salt to taste and boil in 1 cup of water till cooked.
- Mash the greens mix well to make a course paste.
- In another pan, heat the ghee on a medium flame. When hot add the grated onion and fry till pale golden.
- Add all the other ingredients and fry till oil separates from the masala (onion-spice mix).
- Add the greens mix to this and stir till blended.
- Garnish with a dollop of butter and serve with Makki Ki Roti (Indian maize flatbread).