This dish is extremely popular not just in North India but elsewhere as well. Serve Rajma with plain boiled rice, Kachumbar salad and your favorite pickle.
- 2 cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed under running water
- 2 tbsps vegetable/canola/sunflower cooking oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 medium-sized onions chopped fine
- 2"piece of ginger jullinned
- 6 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 large tomatoes chopped into 1" cubes
- 2 fresh green chillies chopped fine
- 2 tsps coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of asafetida
- Chopped coriander to garnish
- Heat the oil in a deep pan and add the cumin seeds. When they stop sizzling, add the onion and fry till soft.
- Add the ginger and garlic and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the green chillies, tomatoes, coriander, cumin, turmeric and garam masala powders and fry till the oil separates from the masala.
- Add the red kidney beans, 3 cups of warm water, asafetida, salt to taste and cook till beans are very soft (aproximately 10 minutes).
- Mash some of the beans roughly (this thickens the gravy).
- Garnish with corainder and serve piping hot with plain boiled rice and Kachumbar salad and a pickle of your choice.