Rustle up this dish when you want something tasty but don't have time to get elaborate. It tastes great with plain or stuffed parathas.
- 5-6 large onions sliced thinly
- 4-5 large ripe tomatoes
- 2 tbsps finely chopped garlic
- 2 tbsps tomato ketchup
- 2 green chillies chopped fine
- 2 tsps coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder (optional)
- 2 tbsps vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 medium-sized green bell pepper/capsicum chopped into tiny cubes (optional)
- Heat the oil in a shallow, heavy-bottomed pan and add the garlic. Fry for 1 minute.
- Add the onion and fry till soft.
- Add the tomatoes and all the other ingredients.
- Add salt to taste and stir.
- Cook till the tomatoes are pulpy.
- Add the bell pepper/capsicum if you are using it. Mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes more.
- Turn fire off, mash the preparation coarsely and garnish with fresh chopped coriander.
- Serve with plain or stuffed parathas.