Eat this okra dish with plain boiled rice and your favorite Daal (lentil dish) and you've got a tasty and nutritious meal.
- 1/2 kg okra
- 1/2 cup bengal gram flour (besan)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
- 4 tsps chaat masala
- Salt to taste
- Juice of 1 lime
- Vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil for deep frying
- Wash the Bhindi and then dry throughly. If this is not done, the Bhindi will be sticky and slimy when cut in the next step. Remove the top stem of each Bhindi and then slit diagonally into thin slices.
- Heat the cooking oil on a medium flame. Do not heat the oil too much as okra burns quickly when deep fried.
- Put the okra in a large mixing bowl and sprinkle all the other dry ingredients on it. Season with salt just before frying or else the okra will release water and become soggy.
- Deep fry the okra a little at a time, until crisp and drain on paper towels.
- Garnish with the lime juice and serve with plain boiled rice and your favorite Daal.