In this dish, the slightly sweet flavor of the pumpkin is offset by the heat from the chillies and the tanginess from the raw mango powder. Serve it with hot Chapatis (Indian flatbread).
- 500 gms pumpkin seeds removed, cut into 1" cubes (keep or remove skin as you prefer)
- 2 large onions sliced thinly
- 3 tbsps finely chopped garlic
- 3 dry red chillies
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp raw mango powder
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsps vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a flat pan and add the cumin and fenugreek seeds and fry till spluttering stops.
- Add the dry red chillies and fry for half a minute.
- Add the garlic and onions and fry till onion is soft.
- Add the powdered spices and mix well. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin, sugar and season with salt. Mix well.
- Cook till pumpkin is soft. Sprinkle with a little water only if needed.
- Serve with hot Chapatis (Indian flatbread).