This is a simple, wholesome dish that is perfect when served with hot Chapatis (Indian flatbread) or Parathas (pan fried Indian flatbread). It makes for a quick and easy meal on those days when you can't be bothered spending hours in the kitchen.
- 1/2 kg cauliflower florets (fresh or frozen)
- 2 large or 3 medium-sized potatoes, peeled (or not if you choose) washed and cut into 1" cubes
- 3 tbsps vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 large onion chopped fine
- 2 tsps garlic paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 2 tsps coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 large tomatoes chopped finely
- 2 green chillies slit lengthwise (optional)
- 1 cup shelled peas (fresh or frozen)
- Salt to taste
- Chopped fresh coriander to garnish
- If using fresh cauliflower, put the florets in a large bowl and cover with hot water. Add a tsp of salt and mix well. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Put the potatoes in a microwave-safe dish and cover with hot water. Add salt to taste and mix well. Cook on high for 3-4 minutes. You can also do this in a pan on the stove top. Cook till potatoes are par-boiled. Drain water and keep aside.
- Heat the cooking oil in a deep, heavy-bottomed pan on a medium flame. When oil is hot, add the cumin seeds and cook till spluttering stops. Now add the onion and fry till soft. Stir often. Add the ginger and garlic pastes now and fry for 1 minute.
- Add all the spices and fry for 1 minute. Now add the chopped tomatoes and green chillies (if using). Stir well and fry till tomatoes start to get soft (about 2-3 minutes).
- Now add the cauliflower florets, potatoes and peas. Stir well. Add salt to taste. Cover the pan and cook for 3-5 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Garnish with chopped fresh coriander and serve with hot Chapatis or Parathas!