This delicious dish is an Indian adaptation of a Chinese recipe! It makes for a terrific snack! Here's the recipe...
- 500 gms paneer/ cottage cheese, cut into 2" cubes (see below for Paneer recipe)
- 3 tbsps vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- 2 large onions sliced thinly
- 5-6 cloves of garlic chopped very fine
- 1 medium bunch spring onion chopped coarsely (approximately 1/4 lb or 125 gms)
- 3 tbsps tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp green/ red chilli sauce
- 2 tsps soy sauce
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 large or 2 medium sized green bell peppers/ capsicum pith seeds removed (discard) and cut into 2" square pieces
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a wok or deep pan on a medium to high heat. Add the onion, garlic and spring onion (keep a little - 2 tbsps - aside for garnish later). Fry till soft.
- Add all the sauces, vinegar and the chicken stock cube and cook for 2 minutes, stirring continuously. Now add the paneer and green bell peppers. Mix well and check for salt. Season if required. Cook for 1 more minute. This dish should have almost no gravy - just a coating sauce. If it is too dry, add 1/4 cup of water and mix well.
- Turn off the heat and spoon the Chilli Paneer onto a serving platter. Garnish with some chopped spring onion and serve with toothpicks so everyone can help themselves.