Foogath is the term used for any vegetable dish made with coconut and curry leaves. The ingredients are few and the recipe simple as can be. As a matter of fact, it took me longer (something like 5 minutes) to finely slice the cabbage than it did to cook this dish! Cabbage Foogath tastes lovely with hot Chapatis or plain boiled rice and daal.
- 4 cups finely sliced cabbage
- 2 tbsps oil
- 3/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 green chillies chopped fine
- 6-8 curry leaves washed and dried on paper towels
- 1 large onion chopped fine
- 4 tbsps fresh grated coconut
- Salt to taste
- Wash and drain the sliced cabbage in a colander.
- Heat the oil in a shallow pan and add mustard seeds. When they stop spluttering add the curry leaves and green chillies and sauté a little.
- Now add the onion and fry till it turns soft.
- Add the cabbage, salt to taste and cook till the cabbage wilts a little.
- Add the grated coconut and mix well. Cook for another minute and then turn off the flame.
- Serve with hot Chapatis (Indian flatbread) or plain boiled rice and a Daal of your choice.