Baingan Bharta is a healthy food - eggplant that is the main ingredient, is low in fat and sodium and high in dietary fiber, vitamins C and B6 magnesium, phosphorus and pottasium. Add to that the tomatoes, green chillies and onion and you've packed a mighty nutritional punch in one single dish!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 large onion chopped very fine
- 1 large tomato chopped very fine
- 2 green chillies chopped very fine (optional)
- 7-8 cloves of garlic chopped very fine
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander
- 2 tbsps mustard oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 lime
- Roast on a gas cooktop by just placing the eggplant straight on the burner and keeping the flame on low setting. Keep turning and cooking till all the skin on the eggplant is charred and the inner flesh looks really soft. A good sign to watch for is that the eggplant seems to 'cave in' on itself!
- Grill in your oven grill or on your barbecue grill. Again, keep turning periodically till all the skin on the eggplant is charred and the inner flesh looks really soft.
- 'Roast' in your oven till all the skin on the eggplant is charred and the inner flesh looks really soft.
- Once the eggplant is roasted, allow to cool fully and then peel off and discard the charred skin and stem.
- Mash the eggplant roughly, in a mixing bowl.
- Add the mustard oil, onion, tomato, green chillies, garlic, coriander leaves and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Add a squeeze of lime juice and mix well.
- Serve as a side dish in combination with foods like plain boiled rice and Lehsuni Daal (garlic-flavored lentils), or plain boiled rice and Rajma (red kidney bean curry).