I have never met an eggplant I didn't love! Eggplant is one of my favorite vegetables. The nice thing is you can make it so many ways. This recipe is really easy and turns out a delicious dish that tastes great when served with hot Chapatis.
- 10 baby eggplants washed, patted dry, cut into quarters and soaked in warm water
- 3 tbsps vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 large onion chopped fine
- 2 large tomatoes cut into 1" cubes
- 2 large potatoes cut into 1" cubes
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Chopped fresh coriander to garnish
- In a deep pan, heat the oil on a medium flame till hot.
- Add the cumin seeds and fry till spluttering stops. Add the onions and fry till soft.
- Add the eggplant and potato and mix well. Fry for 2 minutes.
- Now add all the powdered spices and the tomato. Fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle water on the vegetables and mix all well.
- Cover the dish and cook till the vegetables are almost done. Check occasionally.
- Remove the cover from the dish and stir. Cook till done.
- Garnish with chopped, fresh corainder leaves and serve with hot Chapatis.