Hot and tangy, Achaari Baingan tastes great with hot chapatis (Indian flatbread).
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 kg baby eggplant washed, dried and quartered almost to the top
- 4 tbsps vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- 2 tbsps mustard oil
- 2 tbsps garlic paste
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 large onion grated
- 1 1/2 tbsps fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 tbsp onion seeds (kalonji)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp raw mango powder
- Salt to taste
- Mix the mustard oil, ginger, garlic, grated onion and all the other dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Divide this mix into equal portions to fill all the eggplants. Fill a little into each eggplant and tie tightly with a length of sewing thread to secure (so that the mixture does not fall out). Keep aside.
- Heat the vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil in a pan on a medium flame.
- Add the eggplants and cook till done, taking care to turn occassionally so they are done on all sides. Do not stir vigorously or often as the filling will come out.
- Serve with hot Chapatis (Indian flatbread).