Aaloo Ka Bharta or seasoned, mashed potato Indian-style has its home in the state of Bihar in North India. Serve it with hot chapatis (Indian flatbread) topped with ghee.
- 5 large potates boiled, peeled and mashed
- 2 tbsps vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- 1 large onion chopped very fine
- 8-10 cloves of garlic chopped very fine
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1"piece of ginger grated
- 3 dry red chillies
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsps mustard oil
- Chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- Put the mashed potato in a large bowl and keep aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a small pan and add the cumin seeds to it. When the seeds stop spluttering, add the onion, ginger and garlic and fry till soft.
- Add this to the mashed potato.
- Roast the dry red chillies till they begin to release their aroma. Crush coarsely and sprinkle over the potato.
- Pour the mustard oil over the potato and now mix all the ingredients to blend well.
- Garnish with chopped corainder leaves and serve with hot chapatis (Indian flatbread) topped with ghee.