I have lost count of how many times I would travel almost an hour from home (in Bombay), just to eat Sitaphal Cream at the famous Haji Ali! When I love a food this much I always try to cajole the chef to pass on the recipe. Sometimes I get it and most often I don't... no surprise there I suppose. I then try to deconstruct and recreate it myself. Which is what I did with this one. Sitaphal Cream is the kind of dessert that makes you feel you've died and gone straight to heaven!! I feel like I need not say more on the subject. Try it!
- 1 large or 2 medium sized custard apples with seeds removed from the flesh
- 300 ml thickened/ heavy/ double cream, chilled
- 3-4 drops vanilla esence
- 1/3 cup sugar, ground to a fine powder
- Mix the cream, sugar, essence in a mixing bowl and stir to blend. Now add the Sitaphal (custard apple) and mix well.
- Chill and serve in large dessert bowls... small ones just won't do!