This ice cream is fit for royalty and very popular in India. I actually came up with this version of it which combines figs and honey because I love the two together! This recipe is best made with fresh figs. It serves 4.
Prep Time: 6 hours
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 6 hours, 10 minutes
- 3 tbsps unsalted butter
- 1 cup fresh figs chopped into tiny pieces
- 2 tbsps brown sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 400 ml thickened/ heavy/ double cream chilled
- 1/3 cup sugar ground to a fine powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 4-5 tbsps of honey
- Heat a pan on medium flame till hot. Add the butter to it and allow to melt. Add the brown sugar and figs to this and stir well. Cook till the figs are soft, stirring frequently. Take off from fire and allow to cool completely. Keep aside for later use.
- Whisk the 2 egg whites in a clean, dry bowl, till they get fluffy and soft peaks are formed in them.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the cream, sugar and essence together. Be careful not to whisk too much as the cream may turn to butter!
- Now add the fig mixture to the cream and blend with a wooden spoon.
- Gently fold this mixture into the egg whites. Once fully blended, pour into a freezer bowl and cover.
- Freeze for 3 hours or till firm. Remove from the freezer and mix with a wooden spoon again till smooth. Drizzle the honey in swirls over the mixture and gently fold into it.
- Put back in the freezer till firm again. Scoop out into individual bowls and serve!