Succulent Rasgullas in decadent Rabdi! This is what I call dessert heaven! Both these are my favorite desserts, so put together, well what can I say.... The first time I made this dessert, I cheated and used Rasgullas from a tin! You can even make your own if you feel so inclined. The Rabdi of course, is a labor of love. Actually, you can be crafty and shorten the cooking time on that too! Just use evaporated milk to make it. Less cooking and stirring! Alright, here goes... the oh-so-easy version of the recipe.
- 1 liter/ 4.25 cups/ 33.97 fl oz evaporated milk
- 15 homemade or tinned Rasgullas (to make your own see recipe link below) - remove from sugar syrup
- 3/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 3-4 drops yellow food coloring
- Sugar to taste
- 10-15 almonds
- Put the evaporated milk into a deep, heavy-bottomed pan and set up to boil on medium heat. Watch carefully as it may boil over. I usually stand by with a whisk and stir frequently to keep the milk from boiling over.
- After the milk first comes to a boil, reduce heat a little and keep boiling till it is reduced to 1/2 of its original volume. It will begin to turn a lovely brown color as it thickens.
- When the milk is this thick, add the rasgullas, cardamom powder and food coloring. Stir well but very gently to avoid breaking the rasgullas and cook till milk is further reduced to 1/3 of its original volume.
- Taste and add sugar if you want the dessert sweeter. The rasgullas would have imparted some of their sweetness to the dessert so I prefer not to add extra sugar. That is however, a matter of personal choice.
- Turn off the heat now and spoon the dessert gently into a serving dish. Keep aside to cool completely.
- While the dessert is cooling, put the almonds in a microwave-safe bowl and add enough water to just cover them. Cook on High for 1 minute. Remove from microwave and allow to sit for 2 minutes. Now take each individual almond and squeeze between thumb and forefinger. The skin will slip off easily. Discard the skin. Do this for all the almonds and then cut into slivers. Decorate your dessert with these almond slivers.
- Chill the dessert in the refrigerator until ready to serve.