This delicious, rich pudding loaded with nuts and dried fruits is well-known all over the world. It is definitely not a diet food! Normally eaten warm, gaajar halwa tastes really good combined with vanilla icecream.
- 1 kg (just over 2 pounds) of fresh grated carrots
- 2 tins (400 gms each) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup full-cream milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup ghee
- 200 gms khoya (thickened milk)
- 75 gms raisins/sultanas
- 75 gms almonds blanched and slivered
- 75 gms pistachios slivered
- Mix the carrots, condensed milk, milk and sugar in a large pan and cook on a medium flame till all the milk thickens and reduces.
- Add the khoya and ghee to the carrot-milk mix and fry till the carrots turn a to dark orange color.
- Add the dried raisins, almonds and pistachios, mix well and turn off fire.
- Allow the halwa to cool slightly and serve in bowls with a dollop of vanilla icecream each.