You will love this sweet if you like coconut. It is most often made on occassions like Diwali (the Hindu festival of lights) and Christmas.
- 3 cups of fresh or dessicated coconut (fresh gives the best results)
- 1 1/2 cans (400gms each) of sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp cardamom powder
- 5 tbsps ghee
- 1/2 cup cashews, broken into coarse pieces
- 1 cup almonds blanched and cut into slivers
- A few strands of saffron to garnish (optional)
- Heat a heavy-bottomed pan on a medium flame and add the coconut, condensed milk and sugar. Mix well and cook till the condensed milk is reduced to a quarter of its original quantity or till you get a fudge-like consistency.
- Add the ghee and mix well. Cook till the ghee begins to separate from the fudge.
- Add the cardamom powder, mix well and turn off the fire. Add the cashews and stir well.
- Grease a large platter, put the fudge on it and smooth out into a thick layer. Top the entire surface with the slivered almonds and saffron strands.
- Allow to cool a little and cut into squares while still warm.
- Allow to set, remove from the platter and store in an air-tight container.