Easy to make and so delicious, Sooji Ka Halwa is a personal family favorite! This is my Father's recipe... nobody makes Sooji Halwa like my Dad!
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
- 1 and a 1/2 cups sooji/ rawa
- 1/2 cup ghee
- 3/4 cup mixture of cashews (coarsely chopped ) and whole raisins/ sultanas
- 3 cups hot water
- 1/2 cup whole/ full cream milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 pods of green cardamom split open
- Heat a deep pan on a medium heat and when hot add the ghee. When it melts, add the Sooji and mix well.
- Roast the Sooji (stirring frequently) till it begins to turn a very light golden color and give off a faint aroma. The roasted Sooji will have the grainy consistency of wet sand. Now add the cashews and raisins to the Sooji and mix well.
- While you are roasting the Sooji, in a separate pot and on medium heat, bring a mixture of the milk, water, sugar and cardamom to a boil, stirring often.
- When the Sooji is roasted, gently add the water and milk mixture, stirring all the while to prevent lumps from forming. If any do form, make sure to break them with the back of the stirring spoon so you get a smooth paste-like consistency. Cook the mixture till it is thick and begins to come away from the sides of the pan.
- Turn off the heat and allow the mixture to cool to a warm temperature. Serve now in individual bowls.