Til Ka Gajak is made especially made during the cold north Indian winter months since til (sesame) is believed to have warming properties. It is a popular sweet for Diwali (the festival of lights).
- 1 cup sesame seeds toasted lightly
- 1 cup jaggery
- 3 tbsps ghee (clarified butter)
- 6-8 pods of cardamom seeds removed and ground into a powder
- 1/2 cup water
- Put the jaggery and water in a pan and melt to form a thick syrup. To test if it is done drop a little into a bowl of chilled water. If it forms a ball the syrup is ready. If not, cook some more.
- Add the toasted sesame seeds to the syrup and mix well.
- Add the ghee and cardamom powder and mix well.
- Grease a flat plate with a little ghee and pour the jaggery-sesame mix on to it. Flatten and spread the mix over the plate.
- Allow to harden and then break into pieces. Store in an air-tight container.