A favorite Christmas-time cookie, Nankaties have slightly different recipes depending on where in India they are made. This recipe is Goan in origin.
Prep Time: 24 hours
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 24 hours, 15 minutes
- 1/2 kg clarified butter/ ghee (see link below for recipe)
- 1/2 kg finely powdered sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 15 green cardamom pods skins removed and powdered
- 3/4 kg plain/ all purpose flour
- 1/4 kg fine semolina
- 2 tbsps green cardamom powder to decorate Nankaties
- Put the ghee in a deep, mixing bowl and whisk till it is creamy in texture.
- Slowly add the sugar, salt and cardamom powder to the ghee and mix well till all the sugar is dissolved. You can do this mixing by hand or in a stand mixer with the dough kneading attachment.
- Sift the flour and semolina together.
- Now add them (flour and semolina), a little at a time, mixing well. When all the flour and semolina has been added and a smooth dough is ready, cover it with a muslin cloth and leave overnight.
- The next day, preheat your oven to 325 degree Fahrenheit (approximately 163 degrees Celsius/Gas Mark 3/Moderate).
- Grease your palms slightly and roll all the dough out into balls the size of large marbles.
- Shape each ball into a tiny dome-like shape, placing them 2"-3" apart on a greased baking tray. Dip the tip of one of your fingers in the cardamom powder kept for decorating the Nankaties and dot the top of each cookie with it.
- Bake the Nankaties for 15-20 minutes watching carefully to ensure they do not burn.
- Store in an air-tight container.