This is a favourite Goan sweet made specially for Christmas. Marzipan can be made into all sorts of shapes, depending on how artistic you are and how creative you feel! You can mix food colour into portions of Marzipan as you knead or even paint on the shapes once you've made them, using a regular artists paint brush.
- 1/2 kg almonds blanched
- 1/2 kg powdered sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tbsp rose water
- Food colours and decorations as required
- Blend all the ingredients, except the food colouring (add that later to portions of prepared Marzipan as needed) together until smooth.
- Make into desired shapes - fruits, Christmas related shapes like stars, Christmas trees and snowmen can be made using cookie-cutters or you can roll out the Marzipan into a thick slab and cut into diamond or square shapes. If you're using paint-on food colours, let the shapes sit for at least 3-4 hours before painting, so that the surface is sealed and colour does not seep or run where you do not want it to.
- You can also dip each shape in melted chocolate and allow to set. Top with nuts, sprinkles or other smaller Marzipan shapes.
- Allow to set for a day at least.