Besan Ka Laddoo is an all-time favourite and made on several special occasions and festivals. The trick to getting this sweet right is in browning the besan (gram flour) perfectly.
- 4 cups besan (bengal gram flour)
- 2 cups ghee (clarified butter)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp cardamom powder
- Melt the ghee over a medium flame, in a thick-bottomed pan.
- Add the besan and brown till you get a cooked aroma from it. The besan will also turn darker as it cooks and when done should be a deep golden brown color. This browning process can take up roughly 20 minutes.
- Add the cardamom and mix well.
- Turn off the fire and mix in the powdered sugar. Stir well.
- Allow the mix to cool.
- When cool, form into golf ball-sized rounds. Place on a lightly greased, flat tray till they set well.
- Store in an air-tight container in a cool place.