Pea Pulao is also known as Yellow Rice. It is a great alternative to plain boiled rice and accompaniment for any main course, be it vegetarian or meat-based. This recipe serves 2.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 tbsps vegetable/sunflower or canola oil/ghee
- 1 large onion chopped fine
- 1 cup fresh green peas
- 1 cup Basmati rice (a long grain Indian rice)
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup warm water
- Wash the Basmati rice well in running water and keep aside to soak for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a deep heavy-bottomed pan. When it is hot add the onions and cook till soft.
- Add the peas and stir well.
- Add the rice and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the 3 cups of water, turmeric and salt to taste to the rice and set it up to boil on a medium flame.
- Once the water comes to a boil, reduce the flame to a simmer and cover the pan.
- Cook till the water seems to have almost disappeared - tiny holes will form on the surface of the rice.
- Add the 1/2 cup of warm water all over the top of the rice and cover the pan again. Simmer for another 5-7 minutes and turn off the fire.
- Allow the rice to sit for 10 minutes and serve.