Of South Indian origin, tangy Tomato Rice makes a great one-dish meal. Serve it with poppadums.
- 2 cups cooked Basmati rice (you can also use leftover rice)
- 4 large ripe tomatoes cut into cubes
- 2 tbsps vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 large onion chopped fine
- 2 green chillies slit lengthwise
- 1" piece of ginger grated
- 2 tsps coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a deep pan and add the mustard seeds and green chillies. When they stop spluttering add the onion and fry till soft.
- Add the tomato and ginger and mix well. Cook till the tomatoes turn pulpy.
- Add the coriander, cumin and garam masala powders, salt to taste and mix well. Cook on a low flame for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Turn off the fire and add the rice. Mix well.
- Serve with poppadums.