Lemon Rice is a delicious South Indian dish you can easily put together when in a hurry. You can also make it with leftover rice. Serve Lemon Rice with a Raita (yogurt salad) and Poppadums for a simple yet tasty meal.
- 2 cups cooked Basmati rice (or leftover rice)
- 2 tbsps vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 3-4 curry leaves
- 2 green chillies slit lengthwise
- 1" piece of ginger grated
- 1/2 cup peanuts (roasted and unsalted)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Salt to taste
- Gently roast and then coarsely powder the coriander seeds. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds, curry leaves and green chillies. Fry till the spluttering stops and add the ginger and peanuts. Fry for another minute. Add the turmeric powder and turn off the fire.
- Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Add the rice, roasted coriander powder and salt to taste and mix thoroughly.
- Serve with a Raita and Poppadums.