No longer just a South Indian favorite, Idlis are loved and can be found just about anywhere in India. Try them and you'll see why. The batter for Idlis needs to be fermented overnight, so prepare ahead of time.
Prep Time: 24 hours
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 24 hours, 20 minutes
- 3 cups rice
- 1 cup skinless urad daal (black gram)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsps vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- Wash the rice and lentils separately and soak overnight.
- Grind each separately, into thick pastes (adding a little water at a time) in a blender.
- Mix the pastes together and add salt to taste.
- Keep the batter aside overnight to ferment.
- Grease the moulds on an Idli tray with cooking oil. Pour enough batter in each mould to fill it 3/4 full.
- Put 2 cups of water in a large vessel and heat. Put the Idli tray into the vessel and steam for 20 minutes.
- Check the Idlis by poking with a toothpick. If it comes out clean they are done.
- Serve piping hot with Sambar and Coconut Chutney (south Indian) .