This dish is not only pretty it tastes good too! Green Pulao goes very well with any meat dish. It is very popular on festive occassions. This recipe makes 2 servings.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1 cup Hara Masala (green spice mix) - recipe link below
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsps vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- 1 large onion sliced thin
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 large bay leaf broken into smaller bits
- 5 cloves
- 3-4 cardamom pods split
- 1"piece of cinnamon
- 8-10 black peppercorns
- Salt to taste
- Wash the Basmati rice well and keep aside to soak for 10 minutes.
- Prepare 1 cup of the Hara Masala as per instructions. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep heavy-bottomed pan and add the cumin seeds. Cook till they stop spluttering. Add all the other whole spices and fry for a minute.
- Add the onion and fry till soft.
- Drain and add the rice and mix well.
- Add the Hara Masala, 1 1/2 cups of water and salt to taste. Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the flame to a simmer, cover partially and cook till the rice is done.