This tangy chutney can be used as a dip or stir-in sauce for numerous Indian snacks.
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 200 gms tamarind (remove seeds)
- 100 gms dates (pitted)
- 150 gms jaggery
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp fennel
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (roast and grind coarsely)
- 1 tsp salt
- Red chilli powder as per taste
- Put the tamarind, dates, jaggery and water in a saucepan and cook on a medium flame till the dates and tamarind are soft.
- Turn off flame and allow the mixture to cool.
- Use a food processor or hand blender to blend mixture together into a smooth sauce.
- Put sauce back into the saucepan and onto a medium flame and add remaining spice ingredients.
- Bring the sauce to a boil and turn off.
- Allow to cool, then chill and serve.