This delicious chutney can be used as a dip or spread and tastes great with just about anything!
- 3 large onions chopped or sliced
- 1" piece of ginger
- 2-3 green chillies (optional)
- 2 tbsps vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 dry red chillies broken into 1" bits
- Salt to taste
- Grind the onions, ginger and green chillies (if using) to a smooth paste in a food processor. Remove into a serving bowl.
- In a small pan, heat the oil on a medium flame till it is very hot. Add the cumin seeds and fry till they stop slutteriong. Now add the dry red chillies and fry till they turn darker.
- Add this tempering mixture of oil, cumin and red chillies to the onion-ginger-green chilli paste. Add salt to taste. Stir to mix well.
- Serve as a chutney, dip or use as a sandwich spread!