It sounds fiery but isn't as fierce as the name suggests! Curd Chilly is a pickle of sorts from south India. You can eat it exactly as is or fry it in a little oil. Curd Chilly goes well with Curd Rice and plain boiled rice and Sambar (south Indian style lentils).
- 1 kg fresh red chillies
- 3 tbsps sea/rock salt
- 1 cup very sour yoghurt
- 1 cup tamarind juice (soak 1 golf ball-sized lump of tamarind in 1 cup water for 15 minutes and squeeze out juice)
- Pre-heat your oven to 100 degrees Celsius or 212 degree Fahrenheit.
- Put all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix very well.
- Transfer them onto a baking tray lined with foil.
- Bake in the oven, moving around occasionally, till all the chillies are completely dry.
- Store in an air-tight glass jar.
- Serve as is or heat oil in a pan and fry as many chillies as you want, till crisp.
- Serving suggestions: Goes well with Curd Rice, plain boiled rice or Sambar (south Indian style lentils).