Spinach and Minced Meat Soup is both hearty and healthy. It is delicately flavored with cumin and ginger and can be served as an appetizer or teamed with crusty bread or plain boiled rice as a whole meal.
- 2 bunches spinach (approximately 500 gms or 1 lb)
- 500 gms minced beef
- 2 tbsps oil
- 2 tsps cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 large onions chopped fine
- 2 large tomatoes chopped fine
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 litre beef stock
- Salt to taste
- Lime juice to garnish
- Wash and drain the spinach and keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker heat the oil on a medium flame and add the cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds splutter, add the grated ginger and sauté for a minute.
- Add the onions and sauté till they are soft.
- Add the tomatoes, chilli powder, pepper and minced meat. Stir and allow the meat to brown.
- When the meat has browned, add the spinach and beef stock and cover the pressure cooker. Turn the flame to high.
- When the pressure cooker whistles the first time, turn the flame down to a simmer and allow to cook till the whistle blows twice.
- Turn off the flame, release the pressure from the cooker and serve out the soup. Garnish with a squeeze of lime.