This spicy Goan (Goa is on the western Indian coast) masala paste is typically used as the base in a pork curry but tastes just as good with chicken. This recipe makes enough Vindaloo paste to prepare a dish that serves 4.
- 2 large onions chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 4 dry red chillies, toasted
- 2 tsps coriander seeds, toasted
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds, toasted
- 6-8 black peppercorns
- White vinegar
- Put all the ingredients except vinegar into a food processor.
- Add the vinegar a little at a time, to grind the ingredients into a thick smooth paste.
- Use immediately or store in a clean, dry container, in the refrigerator.