Make this popular masala ahead of time and store in an air-tight container. Creating a tasty meal will then be a simple matter of marinate and grill!
- 100 gms cumin seeds
- 35 gms coriander seeds
- 20 gms cloves
- 5 pieces of 2" cinnamon sticks
- 20 gms ginger powder
- 20 gms garlic powder
- 20 gms red chilli powder
- 20 gms turmeric powder
- 20 gms mace powder
- 20 gms salt
- 1 tsp orange food coloring (optional)
Note: If you do not want to use food coloring, substitute with 20 gms of Kashmiri Red Chillies. They give terrific color without as much heat as other dry red chillies. If using Kashmiri Red Chillies, leave out the chilli powder called for in the recipe. Before you use, lightly toast the red chillies on a hot pan till aromatic, then grind to a fine powder in a clean, dry coffee grinder.
- Dry roast the cumin, coriander seeds, cloves and cinnamon sticks in a pan on a low flame, till they begin to release their aroma. Remove from fire and allow to cool.
- Grind all the ingredients (including the powder made from the Kashmiri Red Chillies if you are using them instead of the food coloring and red chilli powder) together in a coffee grinder to make a smooth powder.
- Store in an air-tight container for upto 6-8 weeks.