Almost a staple in South India, Sambar is eaten with plain boiled rice, Idlis, Vadas, Dosas...well almost everything. The main ingredient in Sambar is Sambar Masala. Here's how you can make some in your kitchen.
- 1/2 cup coriander seeds
- 1/4 cup cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup chana daal (large split yellow lentils)
- 1/4 cup urad daal (black gram)
- 1/4 cup fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 cup black peppercorns
- 1/4 cup dry red chilli flakes
- 1/4 cup grated dessicated coconut
- 1/4 cup mustard seeds
- 20 dried curry leaves
- 2 tbsps tumeric powder
- 2 tsps asafetida powder
- Roast all the ingredients - except the asafetida - on a hot griddle till they begin to release their aroma.
- Cool on a tray.
- Add the asafetida and grind into a fine powder. Store in an air-tight container.