Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
Yield: Approximately 1 cup
- 3 tbsps cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 and a 1/2 tsps saunf/ fennel seeds
- 4 tbsps raw mango/ amchur powder
- 3 tbsps powdered black salt
- 1 and a 1/2 tsps freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp hing/ asafetida powder
- 1 and a 1/2 tsps ginger powder
- 1 tsp dried, powdered mint
- 1 and a 1/2 tsps ajwain/ carom seeds
- Set up a flat griddle on medium heat. When hot, put the cumin, coriander and fennel seeds on it.
- Dry roast these ingredients till the seeds begin to turn a little darker and start to give off their aromas. Stir often while roasting, to prevent the seeds from burning.
- When the seeds have roasted, take them off from the pan and spread on a plate to cool.
- When cool, mix the seeds with all the other ingredients in a clean, dry, coffee grinder or food processor and grind till you get a fine, smooth powder. The Chaat Masala is now ready to be used.
- Sprinkle Chaat Masala on almost any green salad for added zing!
- Add a pinch of Chaat Masala to lemonade and stir to give it an instant lift.
- Indian vegetarian dishes taste particularly good with a small garnish of Chaat Masala. After the dish is cooked and you have turned off the heat, sprinkle a few pinches of Chaat Masala over the top of the dish and cover immediately. Let sit for 2-3 minutes and serve. Enjoy!