- 2 large onions cut into quarters
- 2 medium tomatoes cut into quarters
- 2 tsps garlic paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 2 tsps coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder (reduce quantity if you want less heat)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tbsps vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- Grind the onion and tomato together in a food processor till you get a smooth paste. Try not to add too much water while grinding.
- Heat the cooking oil in a medium-sized, heavy-bottomed pan on a medium flame. Add the paste you just prepared. Fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the ginger and garlic pastes and fry for 2 more minutes.
- Now add the powdered spices and fry till the oil begins to separate from the masala.
- Turn off the fire and allow the paste to cool completely (if you're not using it immediately). Put into a suitable container, label container with date and freeze.
Tip: You can also make this gravy with thinly sliced onions and tomatoes (instead of grinding them into pastes). This makes a gravy with a thinner consistency.