A thick, creamy North-Indian curry best eaten with rice and a green salad.
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 500 gms boneless leg of lamb, cubed
- 500 gms yoghurt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tbsps each of garlic and ginger paste
- Green chillies to taste, finely chopped
- 3 tbsps vegetable, sunflower or canola oil
- 2 medium-sized onions, sliced
- 3 tbsps garam masala (see recipe below)
- 3 tsps coriander powder
- 3 tsps cumin powder
- 4 bay leaves
- 500 gm can of diced tomatoes
- 500 ml lamb stock
- 3 tbsps finely chopped mint leaves
- 3 tbsps finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 piece of ginger, julienned
- Mix salt, pepper, yoghurt, turmeric powder, half the ginger and garlic pastes and green chillies together.
- Marinate the lamb in this mixture for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep pan and fry onions and remaining ginger and garlic pastes till fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, cumin powder, bay leaves, coriander powder and garam masala and continue to fry till the oil separates from the mixture.
- Add the marinated lamb and cook till most of the liquid has evaporated. Pour in the lamb stock and cook till the meat is tender.
- Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and mint and juliennes of ginger and serve.