If you're on a diet, this delicious baked/ steamed Parsi dish is especially good for you! It also looks really pretty when served wrapped-up in the banana leaf. That way each person can open their own little package!
- 6 pomfret steaks
- 1 fresh coconut grated fine
- 3 green chillies
- 1 small bunch coriander leaves, (approximately 100 gms/ 0.22 lbs) roots cut off and thoroughly washed
- 1 small bunch mint, (approximately 100 gms/ 0.22 lbs) thick stems removed and thoroughly washed
- 2" piece of ginger
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 tbsps lemon/ lime juice
- Salt to taste
- 1 large banana leaf washed thoroughly, central spine removed and then cut into 6 pieces
- 1 tbsp vegetable/ sunflower/ canola cooking oil
- Place fish steaks in a large, flat tray. Drizzle lemon/ lime juice over them and sprinkle salt to taste. Flip pieces over to coat fully with marinade. Keep aside for 20 minutes.
- Put the coconut, green chillies, coriander and mint leaves, ginger and garlic, cumin and turmeric powders and salt to taste into a blender and grind to a smooth paste. Use as little water as possible.
- Divide this paste into 2 portions and use each portion to fully coat the pieces of fish on each side. Keep aside.
- Pat dry the banana leaf pieces and smear lightly with oil on the smooth side. Place one piece of fish in the center of each piece of leaf and wrap into a neat parcel. Tie with twine or cotton string.
- Cook in a steamer for 15-20 minutes.
- Place each piece in the center of a plate and serve hot, so each diner can unwrap his/ her own parcel!