Xacuti is a Goan speciality and the masala can be used to cook chicken as well. Eat it with plain boiled rice or a pulao (pilaf - rice dish) and a green salad.
- 1 kg fish (any fish with firm white flesh)
- 8-10 peppercorns
- 1" stick of cinnamon
- 6 cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
- 4 pods cardamom split and seeds removed
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 4 onions
- 2 tsps garlic paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 3 tbsps white vinegar
- 3 tbsps grated dessicated coconut
- 3 tbsps vegetable/canola/sunflower cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- Chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- Roast all the whole spices and grind into a powder. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the onions. Fry till soft.
- Add the ginger and garlic pastes and fry for another minute.
- Add the spice powder made earlier, the turmeric, cumin, nutmeg and coriander powders, coconut, vinegar and salt to taste and fry the masala till it begins to separate from the oil.
- Add 2 cups of water to this and stir well. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce flame to a simmer and add the fish pieces gently. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Take off from the fire, garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve.