In this delicious, easy to cook dish, juicy shrimps (prawns) are paired with mixed vegetables and cooked in a creamy coconut gravy! Serve on a bed of plain boiled rice!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: Serves 4-6 people
- 5 tbsps vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- 1/2 kg mixed vegetables - cauliflower, carrots, peas, French beans, potatoes - cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp Paanch Phoran masala
- 5 curry leaves
- 1 large or 2 medium onions, chopped fine
- 2 large tomatoes chopped fine
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 kg shrimp/ prawns (deveined, heads and tails removed)
- 125 ml thick coconut milk
- 2 tsps lemon juice
- 2-3 tbsps chopped fresh coriander
- Set up a deep pan or wok on high heat. Add 3 tbsps of the cooking oil to it and heat.
- When the oil is very hot, add the mixed vegetables to it and stir fry till lightly browned.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and keep aside on paper towels for later use.
- In the same pan, add the remainder of the cooking oil and heat. Now add the Paanch Phonran, curry leaves and allow to fry till spluttering stops.
- Now add the onions and fry till translucent. Add the tomatoes and garlic and ginger pastes. Fry this masala for 1 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add all the powdered spices and mix well. Fry till the oil begins to separate from the masala.
Now add the prawns and stir well. Cook for 2-3 minutes - DO NOT overcook or the prawns will get rubbery.
- Add the mixed vegetables, coconut milk, lemon juice and salt to taste. Stir well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped fresh coriander. Turn off the heat and serve the Shrimp and Mixed Vegetable Curry on a bed of plain boiled rice.