This concentrate makes a really tasty, thirst-quenching drink that is perfect for summer! Make up a bottle of it and keep in your fridge for those hot days.
- 12 lemons, juice removed and strained
- Rind of 1 lemon
- 3" piece of ginger, grated and then pulp squeezed to remove juice
- 8 cloves
- 1/2 a nutmeg
- 1 tbsp aniseed/ fennel seeds/ saunf
- 1 kg sugar
- Put the cloves, nutmeg and aniseed in a clean, dry coffee grinder and grind to a fine powder.
- Put 1 liter of water in a deep pan and bring to a boil on high heat. Add the powdered spices, simmer and boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar and boil till you get syrup of half-thread consistency. See How to Make Sugar Syrup for more details. Once syrup is ready, remove from heat and allow to cool. The spice sediment will settle during this time.
- Strain the spiced syrup into another bowl. Add the lemon and ginger juice to the syrup and mix well.
- Pour into a bottle (use a funnel) and store in the refrigerator.
- To serve, pour Lemon Ginger Squash into a tall glass, according to taste and add crushed ice and chilled water. Stir, garnish with a slice of lime/ lemon and serve!